If you have an art museum nearby, consider a trip there for a visit to the Renaissance section and some of the paintings and other artwork involving crosses. Spend a few extra minutes staring at Christ’s face in those that really capture your attention.
If you don’t have a museum nearby – or even if you do – it’s worth considering an “internet art tour” Here are a few visuals as starters:
- Christ on the Cross with a view of Toledo (click on the word “Download” to see the painting)
- Calvary by Octavio Ocampo
- Various visuals of Jesus and Simon carrying the cross
- (HINT: if you hold down the Ctrl key and simultaneously press the + key, images on a webpage will frequently “zoom in” for you)
What emotions came to you while staring at Christ’s face? May such images enhance our appreciation for the human-ness of Christ and the Holy Week experience…
Enjoy the day, filled with the Spirit!
Lectionary Texts for Sunday, March 25, 2018:
- Psalm 118:1-2, 19-29
- Mark 11:1-11 or John 12:12-16
- Isaiah 50:4-9a
- Psalm 31:9-16
- Philippians 2:5-11
- Mark 14:1-15:47 or Mark 15:1-39, (40-47)
Know someone who might like receiving messages like this?** If so, forward this message to them and they can sign up HERE