“Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don’t try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; God is the one who will keep you on track. Don’t assume that you know it all. Run to God! Run from evil!” ~ Proverbs 3:5-7 (The Message)
Run to God! … Seems relatively easy many days, especially when we run to God in prayer.
Run from evil! … Is this more challenging, at least in certain periods of life?
In this season of United States national politics, it frequently seems that evil is amidst us, depending to whom you are speaking. In some ways, this commentary may remind readers of the lyrics in Harry Emerson Fosdick’s hymn, “God of Grace and God of Glory”…
The Proverbs 3:5-7 verses prove instructive in helping us live through this political season:
- we should pray for wisdom
- we shouldn’t try to have all the answers
- as we proceed in conversation and action, we can listen for God’s voice
- we should remain confident that God will be with us
- we should pray for strength and support as we endure the angst and actions of the political season
PRAYER: Creator God, help us follow Proverb teachings, continuing to run to you while seeking wisdom, conversation, support, action and more. Move in us that we might continually work to help all people run away from the evils you deplore. Amen!
Enjoy the day, filled with the Spirit!
Lectionary Texts for Sunday, August 30, 2020:
- Exodus 3:1-15 and Psalm 105:1-6, 23-26, 45b
- Jeremiah 15:15-21 and Psalm 26:1-8
- Romans 12:9-21
- Matthew 16:21-28
Know someone who might like receiving messages like this?** If so, forward this message to them and they can sign up HERE